A Short History of Minnesota Stamp Expo
Minnesota Stamp Expo was originally known as Twinpex and was sponsored by the Twin Cites Philatelic Society. The first show was held in connection with the first annual American Philatelic Society National Philatelic Exhibition and Convention. The show was held in the Hodgson Building in downtown Minneapolis from August 19 - 24, 1929. This show featured a million dollar stamp exhibition (a lot of money in those days), including the famed British Guiana 1856 1¢ magenta.
The show was not an annual event in the early years. The next show was not held until 1933, but then was held each year through 1940. There were no shows during the World War II years, 1941-1945, or in four other years up through 1957. The shows held in 1949, 1953, 1955, 1956, and 1958 were among the top shows in the nation, attracting exhibitors and dealers from across the country.
In 1991, the name of the show was changed from Twinpex to Twin City Stamp Expo in order to make it more meaningful to the non-collecting public. In 1995, it was decided to upgrade the show from regional to national status by entering the American Philatelic Society World Series of Philately qualification process. The combination of expanding the show and decreasing membership in the Twin Cities Philatelic Society caused sponsorship of the show to be expanded to also include the Lake Minnetonka Stamp Club, the Maplewood Stamp Club, and the Minnesota Stamp Dealers Association. In 1996, the name was changed again, this time to Minnesota Stamp Expo, reflecting the expanded sponsorship of the show.
Minnesota Stamp Expo became a fully accredited APS World Series of Philately show in 2000. This year, 2018, is the 77th production of the show, a long history under three names, many venues, and a multitude of formats.
Last Updated 01/22/18